Monday, December 1, 2008

Whoosh...

It was a lovely summer evening, the crimson sun had just set and I was there in the jungle by the forest lodge overlooking a melodious rivulet that I loved so much. Nothing feels as good as the evening breeze that rushes through old undisturbed trees and grasses as tall as little children swaying and playing to the wind... bringing in a whiff of that very smell of nature that we have forgotten living in the concrete jungle built by us.

Nearly a forgotten pleasure to be an audience here, standing silently and hearing the trees talk to their friends and the crickets gossip while a lone distant wolf declares his importance! Oh! I could stand there all night and just listen to the jungle... there is nothing that pleases me more!

It was then that I felt a gentle nudge, it was more of a feeling of someone passing by. Very close indeed, enough to make me reflexly balance myself! Though I'm sure I would not have fallen. And it was as if all the flora and fauna around me had suddenly stopped to look at this little "accident". The sudden silence was chilling!

And then after a few baited seconds, the symphony of nature began humming its tune again, completely forgiving contact by mischance between man and spirit...

Whoosh!

(this being the second and final brush that I had with "spirits" click here for the first)

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Ravin, I think it was the Spirit of the Jungle....just giving you a friendly nudge as in,"Hey Dost, glad you enjoy my home"!
Very well described!....brought out the atmosphere so much so that my hair stood on end at the whoosh!

Ravin said...

:-) Thanks Rashmi

Anonymous said...

yesssssssssssss I agree with Rash ! The spirit of the jungle it was !!!

Now these are 'encounters' however much spine-chilling they can get , are still welcome as against those gun-toting ones !

Anonymous said...

The description of the jungle is beautiful. Very well written. And yes, I too agree with Rashmi... :-)

Anonymous said...

They say there are more planes than one existing together .... may be something momentous happened in another plane, not visible to you ....... eerie

Jogesh Sachdev said...

Aapke Descriptions bahut Sajeev hain!!!

Dr. Aparna Bagwe said...

the jungle sounds are very vividly described, ravin.. i felt as if i was there too.. having experienced the jungle sounds so many times.. brought back those memories..

and then... when something went whoosh past you..i felt goosebumps rise up all over me... hey.. but.. cudnt it have been a deer spirit?

Ravin said...

Thank you Jogesh!

Thanks a lot Aparna!

Unknown said...

You do have a fine way of creating atmosphere Doc...that was very well written!

Ravin said...

Thanks Ashvina :-)

Anonymous said...

Long time no blog Ravin ... wassup